Wednesday, May 7, 2014

First Impression: Karuna Clarifying Treatment Mask

I am a beauty product junkie... hello! I AM a beauty blogger after all. And being subscribed to monthly beauty boxes and bags caters to that enjoyment of trying new things. Months ago, I received the Karuna Clarifying Treatment Mask* in a Birchbox.
Sorry for the condition of the package... I thought I'd be able to find an unopened one online...

 Little did I know that it was a sheet mask.
Photo Courtesy of Sephora.com

I had been very curious about sheet masks and was therefore happy that I'd received one to try out. Here is what the package says:


MISSION: Calming & Clarity

SOLUTION: Shiso, a Japanese Green Leaf, plus Ginger work to keep your skin clear and healthy, while Honey soothes and provides oil-free hydration.

All Karuna masks contain a custom-blended beauty boost. Plant extracts, peptides and anti-oxidants bring care and compassion to all skin types with a feeling of hydration, nourishment and renewal.

DELIVERY: All-natural fiber cloth retains 50% more moisture then synthetics, helping pores to fully absorb the paraben-free beneficial ingredients. Made from bio-degradable wood pulp, our cloth is truly a green and luxurious alternative.


If you know anything about this blogger, you already know that the words "all-natural" and "paraben-free" had me sold! Fast forward to this past Saturday night when I finally decided to test it out... here's what I thought:

My first impression of this sheet mask is that it smelled like a hand wipe- it had a clean, slightly citrusy scent. It was very wet... like almost dripping with the serum-like solution, which explains why the directions said to massage any remaining product into your neck and hands. I had a bit of difficulty unfolding the mask because of how moist it was but that ended up being a plus when I finally got the mask on my face. After a bit of shifting to make sure the eye, nose and mouth holes were in place, I began to smooth the sheet mask down and it literally laid on my face. I was expecting to have to lay down while the mask was on but I was able to sit up and watch TV with absolutely no problem. When I removed the mask after 20 min, there was still quite a lot of the serum on my face. I massaged it into my face as much as I could but all of it wasn't absorbed, so I just allowed the rest to dry. To my surprise, it did not feel sticky once it dried. My skin was very soft and hydrated, so I opted against applying anything else to my face. If you have sensitive skin, I would suggest only leaving the mask on for 10 min.

I have not yet purchased the new version of the mask but definitely will based on how much I liked this sample one.


* The name has since been changed to Karuna Clarifying+ Face Mask and the packaging is different. The new product is pictured below:

Photo Courtesy of Sephora.com

No comments:

Post a Comment